Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Nikon D3x -Impending Announcement?

We had a lot of fun with our Nikon vs. Canon piece last December. In fact, over 400,000 pageviews ensued, so that means there was a lot of interest!

So many of my colleagues are blown away by the D3's noise handling, and for that I gave the D3 a "win" over the EOS 1Ds Mark III, despite the filesize/megapixel disparity. In fact, I'd say that that was the unmentioned elephant in the room when I did that piece. While I did mention the D3x back then (Nikon vs Canon - The Future), and it's tech specs had been floating around the rumor mill and I had caught wind of them, I didn't want to get into great detail.

Then Nikon releases new firmware, listing, in the firmware, resolutions that are selectable by the photographer, and it's maximum listing is 24.4 megapixels!

(Continued after the Jump)

Don't take my word for this - check out the posting at Engadget! Those guys rarely get things wrong, and they got it from here at dpreview!

So, the next question is - when? I expect that the camera's already camouflaged on the street now, probably in a D3 body, being tested. I'll expect an announcement before the end of May. I had heard through the ubiquitous rumor mill March/April, and it's surely potentially announceable in the next two weeks. Surely, it will be on the street in time for the Olympics.

Don't let this beast of a chip convince you to wait. Buy the D3 - it's amazing. Let the D3x work for you as a separate and complimentary tool. I'll speculate a smaller buffer, and probably a max ISO of either 3200 or 6400, but with comparable characteristics of the D3. These are, however, obvious speculative points, and are consistent with how the previous camera variations looked.

Oh, and to you Canon shooters thinking of switching back to Nikon, this should seal the deal!

Please post your comments by clicking the link below. If you've got questions, please pose them in our Photo Business Forum Flickr Group Discussion Threads.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do we really need 24 megapixel?
I believe that fro 95% of my pictures 12 megapixel are ok.
What I really want is a D3 sensor inside a D300 body...

Anonymous said...

Now that these guys have gotten to MF-levels of pixels (see the ZD), maybe they will concentrate on making them BETTER instead of just MORE. I want better dynamic range, more forgiving highlight blowout, better noise handling (at least that part is addressed). Heck, I'm still happy for most uses at 8MP.

At this level of gear, we users understand there's more to the image than just pixel count. Sticking to the P&S marketing points just isn't convincing any more.

Anonymous said...

会社設立
クレジットカード 海外旅行保険
結婚指輪
育毛剤
薬剤師 求人
ワンクリック詐欺
債務整理
toefl 
個別指導塾
幼児教室
合宿 免許
名刺

Newer Post Older Post